The following animation shows:
- Nutrients in food stimulate hormone responses in non-diabetic subjects
- Diabetes affects this response
- RYGB corrects the effects of diabetes
- Targeted delivery of BioKier’s capsule will mimic the effects of RYGB
- Progress in product development and initial clinical results
- New grants and upcoming clinical trials
BioKier has devised two proprietary oral formulations, one a tablet containing butyrate (BKR-017) and the other a capsule containing glutamine (BKR-013), that are designed to mimic the effects of metabolic surgery and improve glucose management without the physical trauma and cost of the surgery. BioKier’s approach is expected to be suitable for type 1 or type 2 diabetes patients, both obese and non-obese. Specifically, both products act by stimulating L-cells in the lower gut thus correcting the deficiency in secretion of endogenous GLP-1 and other gut hormones, such as PYY, GLP-2, and oxyntomodulin, that regulate glucose metabolism and appetite. Therefore, this treatment also is expected to have beneficial effects on hypertriglyceridemia, metabolic syndrome, and obesity.